I honestly think there is no better way to start your day than with a smoothie. It's healthy, refreshing, and sets the tone for the rest of your day. Let's be real. I'm probably not going to eat two leaves of kale throughout my day. But if it is chopped up and blended into my fruit smoothie, I get all the nutritional benefits and I can't even taste the greens! I have been drinking green smoothies for a few years now, so usually I can handle more greens. This is a good smoothie for those of you who are new to the smoothie game and the thought of swallowing down kale might gross you out. I promise, you really won't taste it and you can always start off with less. If this STILL scares you, throw some Greek yogurt in your smoothie or swap the kale for spinach. This will help your smoothie taste a little less bitter and ease you into the world of green smoothies.
What you'll need:
about a 1 1/2 cups of frozen fruit- I have frozen strawberries, cherries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries (great combo)
2 leaves of kale
1 1/2 bananas
1 cup of water
- Remove the stem from the kale and chop into tiny pieces
- Blend the kale and water for about 30-45 seconds until it is completely liquid. This will ensure there are no leaves in your smoothie.
- Add the bananas and blend for another 30-45 seconds until creamy
- Finally, add the frozen fruit. Hopefully by this time the fruit has melted a tad, making it easier to blend. You might need to stop the blender, stir, and continue blending a few times to make sure all of the frozen fruit is completely blended
- Drink right away to get the optimal nutrients from your smoothie! Don't re-freeze or save for later
Hope you enjoy this recipe! More to come :)